Safety and Security
Handover of the Phola Police Station 2016
On the 24th of June the Phola Police Station was formally opened by the Minister of Police Mr NPT Nhleko, MP .Dignitaries honored and graced this event which included the Executive Mayor of Emalahleni CLLr L Mabona-Ntshalinsthali .
The community of Phola came out in their numbers to witness and take part in this event .
Phola community falls under a rural urban settlement, where municipal services tend to be minimal to the point where people have to travel long distances for certain services. In this case, the community used to travel to Ogies township to get police services. This was a shattering experience, as it was overwhelming for community members, and this gave a kick to the crime rate in Phola.
As part of the legacy that Kusile Power Station Project is trying to leave in its feeder areas, a police station was donated to the community. This was done with Vitrovian facilitating the process .
- To assist the Public Service Dept. in providing the best possible service to all members of our community who require the SAP-services, whether that be as a victim of crime, because of an accident or personal crisis or simply for advice.
- Assist the Public Service Dept. in delivering of a same level of service, as they would expect for themselves.
- To assist the PSD in reducing crime in line with targets they have set with their CPF Partnership (Community Protection Forum). This means reducing crime and the murder cases within all the wards, the local Farms assigned under the Ogies Police Station and the crime stats as being of greatest concern to communities and as recorded annually . These also included the personal robbery offences, burglary in people’s homes, assault and criminal damage.
- To meet the sanction detection targets set with all stakeholders of the Kusile Power Project within the Local Feeder areas in terms of CSI.
- To promote public safety and enhance citizen focus by responding to local needs through CSI of the client, supported by Municipality (Unit Manager, Ward Councillors, Ward Committee Members in every ward across the township. From the Provincial SAPS Major General level until the Superintendent allocated for the PSPSP, supported by CPF Officers in partnership with other stakeholders to tackle problems of concern to local people. To work continuously work with these stakeholders to identify ways of achieving sustainable crime , disorder and anti-social behavior reduction. For the station to assist by tackling prolific offenders to reduce crime on a day-to-day basis, as a solution, which prevent crime reoccurrence and thereby make our local community safer.
- To assist the PSD to robustly deal with prolific and persistent offenders on their partnership with the area Magistrates and Drug Treatment Agencies. This facility has been established thus it will continue throughout until the crime stats have dropped in the area.
- Thruogh the approval of the client Vitrovian PSPSP executed the project until the handover.
A Satellite Police station was constructed for the community of Phola.Contractor involved: KCWJV Cost implications: Donation of R 550 000.00 Beneficiation: South African Police Services – Phola community